I left the diaper off and asked her every 2 minutes if she had to go potty, which annoyed myself more than her, but she kept saying no. I wasn't sure when she would need to go or had last gone and having done no research I had no clue how often to ask her or how to do this at all. Alexa kept saying no, so I just kept asking.
Finally she ran over to the potty and sat down by herself for awhile. After about 6 mins she got up and said "all done" and there was a small piece of poop in her toilet...I was SHOCKED!! I praised her and then we wiped and cleaned out the toilet. I told her she could pick out a special treat, and she choose a sucker.
We continued to play and I didn't ask her for awhile if she had to go to the bathroom and about 10 minutes later I heard an "uh oh" and a splash as she peed on the floor in the hallway. I tired to get her to go to the potty but it was too late, she had already gone all she needed to go. She was really upset and started to cry but I told her it was okay.
We continued to play and about 10 minutes later she yelled "potty" and ran towards the toilet. The lid on her potty was down (Mylie had had her face in it) and Alexa ran away from the potty and ended up pooping on the towel we had laid out on the carpet. Poor girl, she had diarrhea and was VERY upset about going on the floor. It was then we put a diaper on and decided that was a wrap for Day 1. It was a stressful 30 minutes and I'll try again in a few weeks.
For now, we will continue to let her use the potty when she wants, with no pressure and I'll do my research so I'm more prepared for next time.
I think she's actually ready. It's a good sign that she gets upset when she pees on the floor, too. That means she'll probably get it quick. Next weekend that you have nothing planned and Ian is home, you should dedicate the entire weekend to potty training. Put a potty watch on her so that you don't have to ask/remind her- the watch will- and it will turn it into a fun game. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks Holly- I think she's ready too and will wait till next month to attempt on a weekend when Ian is around. Where do I buy a potty watch? Do you have one we can borrow?
DeleteI gave our potty watch to Liz to use with Grant. Ill see if she still has it. It was still in the package when i gave it to her!
Delete