This past weekend I feel like I had my true initiation into mommy hood. While I have been a mom to baby Alexa for 10.5 months, it wasn’t until this past Memorial Day weekend that I experienced motherhood and its full commitment! Alexa was sick with a fever, flu bug and overall not feeling well beginning Thursday night. She went right down at 7, but was up around 11:30 and felt hot. Her temperature was 101 and I am still kicking myself for not giving her Advil at that time! Instead I rocked her and put her back down-she slept till morning. Friday am she still had a fever and Ian stayed home with her, giving her Advil and taking her to the doctor that afternoon. She had thrown up which is why Ian decided to take her in, but the doctor didn’t see anything in her ears, throat, or hear anything in her lungs- he sent them on their way, said she could be getting a virus but to keep our plans for the weekend and give her Advil as needed.
That evening Alexa and I headed to my parents- we had Olivia’s baptism on Saturday evening. Alexa seemed okay- fussy, and a little hard to get down for bed, but she STTN and had no fever. Saturday morning was a different story. She woke up with a disgusting diaper, fever, horrible congestion and the poor baby was SO FUSSY! She wouldn’t take her bottle, and didn’t eat much of her breakfast, she cried and cried and after only being up for an hour, already tried and ready for a nap! I could tell she wasn’t feeling well and decided to pack up our things and head back home to Columbus. Once we were home, Alexa slept for close to 3 hours and woke up with a fever.
Yes, it should have happened sooner, but that is the point I decided to throw in the towel, and accept that our Memorial Day weekend planned with family and friends at a baptism, on the lake for fun in the sun and a cookout was OVER. I needed to stay home and keep my sick baby in the AC. This was the first time, for what I am sure will be countless times- that our plans are cancelled because of the kids. I am not complaining, Alexa and her health and happiness are my #1 priority, but I’m not going to lie, I did throw myself a small pity party- for 1. Ian worked on Saturday and Sunday am- then headed up to Stow for a party. When he got home early Monday morning- it was nice to go to the grocery and have some “me” time while he took care Alexa- who was not yet 100%, but feeling much better.
My mom’s birthday was Monday- so she and my dad came up for a Birthday Celebration of fondue! They were happy to see Alexa back to her cheerful self (she is now 100% better). Unfortunately, those happy times would be short lived as we got some scary news from Hawaii- where Matt lives that evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment