Tuesday, April 3, 2012

MoMMy MUsT HAVES- Favorite Things!


In honor of baby Olivia- here is a list of my  mommy must haves! I believe I have already shared all of these things with Amanda...but for any other moms to be (for the 1st or 2nd time),  I hope you can find some of my favorite (or most used) things useful. I plan to do another post soon with all the things we use and love now that Alexa is older.





Rock and play sleeper- with snuzzler
Alexa LIVED in this for the first few weeks and months.  It was so nice because she fit perfectly swaddled and then placed in the snuzzler. A gf told me that a lot of reviews for the Rock and Play sleeper were from parents complaining of flat head. YIKES!! I bought the snuzzler and never noticed a flat head on Alexa.  This is perfect for naps and those times that you need the baby in a safe place while you catch a shower, or workout.  Of course it also works great for bedtime,  fits perfectly next to your bed for those 12am, 3am, and 5am feedings. 
sleeping beauty

Extra pump parts and the hands-free pumping bra
I CANNOT say enough good things about this bra!!  It was a godsend! My favorite nurse Victoria at Riverside told me about it and then I told ALL my friends!  I was able to fold laundry, unload the dishwasher, pick up around the house, comfort my fussy baby or just relax hands free while pumping!!  I also highly recommend purchasing an extra set or 2 of pump parts. This will be a good way to avoid washing/drying all day long. Alexa was bottle fed for the first few weeks (until she got the hang of latching) and having this bra is probably the reason I have keep up with breastfeeding/pumping for as long as I have.  These things make such a daunting a chore a bit more bearable.

Boppy, swaddles, burp cloths and Itzbeen
All of these things are MUSTS!  Im sure you have heard of Aiden and Anais swaddles, they are simply THE BEST!  They are so lightweight and big, you can get your baby into the most perfect little burrito every time!  Amanda said that every nurse or dr at the hospital commented on Olivia's perfect swaddling blanket.   Aiden and Anais also make burp cloths. These are my fav because of their thickness, softness and size. They fit perfectly over your shoulder and can even double as bib once the baby becomes a drool machine! 
The boppy works great for nursing at night.  You are so tired you can barely keep your eyes open and need the extra support holding your baby. I also used this as a "seat" for her on the couch or in her crib while cleaning/organizing.  Once Alexa was a little older we even had her sleep in the boppy on nights she was congested, it offered the perfect incline to help her breathe.  Finally- the itzbeen was a great way to keep track of the time between feedings, nursing and diaper changes.  You might not believe me, but OFTEN…the day gets away from you.  In addition to tracking the times between feedings, I found the option of tracking last diaper change as helpful.  I don’t know about you, but I would always forget that could be a problem or a fix for a fussy baby. That was usually Ian’s first thought “does she need to be changed".  I ALWAYS just assumed it was time to take off my shirt and feed her! Sometimes when Alexa was fussy, I would look down and see it had been 3 hours since her last diaper change.
another sleeping baby photo (pink carters receiving blanket...another favorite)

Some other things that I couldn’t live without those first few weeks:  WATER_ it is imperative to drink tons to keep up your milk supply and hydrated.  SLEEP_ I know they say to nap when the baby naps and I never really did. By week 3, it caught up with me…try and nap at least once a day if you can. NIPPLE CREAM_ I didn’t like the popular Lansinoh brand- I preferred the non- lanolin types, I found them more soothing without being sticky. MOBILE_ This is the one we have and ALexa LOVES it!! I didnt think a mobile was something they would use until a little later in life. NO WAY! SHe LOVED looking at this and gives you just enough time for a shower. Dr Browns Pacis_ Pacifiers arent for everyone, but Alexa LOVED her paci and it was amazing how instantly she would fall asleep or calm down. They are so soothing for babies and the Dr Browns were Alexa's favorite!  
Hope you found some of our favorite things helpful!  Enjoy your new baby!!!

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree on the extra pump parts and pacifiers (though mine loved your suggestion of the wubbanub and is still very dedicated to her "wubbys"). I am definitely going to have to make sure to get some of those burp cloths and swaddles for #2. Did you get cotton or bamboo? I also want that rock n play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure our swaddles are the organic cotton.

    ReplyDelete