Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday the 13th...

This week has been a crazy one for sure!    It all started on Sunday evening when I got an email from my dad. The email read that he thought it was a great idea, and he had heard of other people making lots of money from their blogs also.  He mentioned they had fun at our house for Easter, and we would talk soon.  I was caught off guard, because this response was to an email I had never sent my dad. I scrolled down through his email, and saw an email that I had sent him.   It was a link to an ad for an at home business, and I was telling my dad that this was a great way I could provide for my family. In speaking with my dad afterwards, he did think that my email was unlike something I would normally send him, but again...was associating my blog, as a business (as lots of people do these days) and thought he should respond….such a caring dad!!  Anyway, if you got an email from me last week telling you I had found a great way to provide for my family…you can ignore it!  J   My password has been changed and hopefully something like this doesn’t happen again!

Later in the week, on Tuesday while checking our Chase account online (something I do often, which is a good idea for this EXACT reason) a charge appeared for Experian, which is a company that offers credit scores and credit reports.  As soon as I saw the charge, I knew that I didn’t request a credit report, but texted Ian to see if he did.  I was 99% sure he didn’t, but I needed to be sure.  Sure enough, he did not.  Ian called Experian and with my debit card # (it was already cancelled) and were able to tell him that the card was ran for the report of a woman named Chamita.  Once Ian verified that was not us and we didn’t know a Charmita, they were able to refund the charge.  Since my debit card was already cancelled at this point and no others charges were on my account.  

Finally, last night when Ian logged onto iTunes there was a message that we needed to change our password.  What The HECK!? Our iTunes account, that was attached to my email (the SAME email as my yahoo account) was now the latest victim. 

This has been an annoyingly busy week...and even busier for someone out there trying to access all of my information!  I'm looking at this as a learning experience and thinking of ways I can be more conscious of my accounts.  I wanted to share with my readers some of the things I am NOW doing to avoid some of these headaches in the future.  
1.  Using the same password for multiple accounts, while VERY convenient, proves an easy way for people to access multiple accounts with just your email and password.
2.  When shopping online- NEVER save your card information for future purchases.
3.  Frequently check your bank account, and credit card transactions to catch any fraudulent use right away and cancel your card immediately.

Hope this helps!!

Happy FRIDAY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment