Friday, June 1, 2012

Change of Scenery: Update on Matthew

Matt has asked that I keep my blog updated for friends and family to track his status. 

Matt has been diagnosed with group A strep cellulites.  After being sick the better part of last week he was admitted Sunday night into Wilcox Hospital on Kauai. Monday morning a team got together and opened his angle (with a 12 inch butterfly cut) and made his diagnosis.  Shortly after his first surgery, Matt’s body went into sepsis shock which created additional problems with his kidneys and blood pressure. His buddy back on Kauai immediately called our parents who were on the next flight out, traveling all day Tuesday.   Another surgery Tuesday, once my parents had arrived,  included more cleaning of the wound.   Thursday when lab results weren’t showing improvement the three of them decided it was time for a change. 

Matthew arrived at Queens Hospital in Oahu, yesterday afternoon (my mom flew with him medevac), my dad arrived shortly after them (from a commerical plane) and Matt was almost immediately taken into surgery that evening.  They did more cleaning, irrigating of the wound and completed a procedure that should help with the drainage.  They will be keeping the wound open to stop the infection from growing.  So far the bones are ok- GREAT NEWS and an MRI scheduled later this morning will show them if/where the infection has spread. At Queens Matt (with my parents) are working with an incredible staff of surgeons, an infection specialist, nurses and other facility. 

Per my new morning routine, I called the hospital at 7am (1am in HI) and was told by the nurse he was in a lot of pain, but his vitals were good and he was NOT on blood pressure meds and was eating normal food. As soon as he was out of surgery he was asking to eat.  She had just been in his room this morning- helping him at the urinal and getting him comfortable.  She said he was apologizing and said that hopefully in a few days he won’t need so much help…could be a flirting tactic. J

I just got off the phone with Matthew.  He is OVERWHELMED with all of the texts, emails and messages from everyone!  THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!   He wanted me to let everyone know he is reading them and appreciates them!  If he doesn’t respond it’s not because he didn’t get them- but he needs 100% rest.  Matthew is fully committed to getting healthy which requires all of his energy resting.  He is feeling beyond blessed and having my parents there with him is the BEST medicine (in additional to all the antibiotics and pain meds of course!!)  He LOVES all of you and couldn’t ask for better friends…and FAMILY!  Okay, I may have added that last part about the family, but I know he would have said that too. J

I think for me the hardest part is being so far away.   I feel useless.  With the distance between us as well as the time difference (they are 6 hours behind) everything seems that much more difficult.    These past few days have been the scariest of my life, but I believe God will not give us more than we can handle.  Matt said the other day- “anyone that can take a look at my life and tell me their isn’t a God- is crazy” AMEN!

Please keep the prayers coming, for his strength in body and mind, as well as for the doctors- to make the right decisions for his care, and my parents- I cannot imagine what it is like to see your child like this. 
  
Thank you- and continue to check back  on my blog for updates.  Matt has asked that I provide him with humor, anything you think he might like- please send my way! :) 

5 comments:

  1. Not sure if Matt will find this funny, but he can use it to get a laugh with his nurses? My friend shared it with me yesterday and I almost died: http://whatshouldwecallnursing.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Kristen, no matter where you are, your writing is awesome, and thanks for providing information to Matt's Ohana here in Kauai! Aloha,
    Rick L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,
    Matt and all of your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad that he is in good hands and that your parents are there. Please keep us updated. Miss you! Love, Berit

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Holly- those are hilarious! I think he could share the link with his nurses. :)

    Thanks Rick...I am so glad you are reading! :)

    Hi Berit!! I am glad you guys are updated....I will DEF keep the updates coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin,

    We are continuing to pray for Matt. I am glad that your parents are there, and that he is blessed with such a great sister like you!

    Much love,

    Melissa and Brent

    ReplyDelete