Thursday, June 28, 2012

Long Overdue Update

I know it has been forever since I posted an update on Matt.  I wanted to wait until after his doctor’s appointment yesterday- providing an overall update/status.

First off, my trip out there last week was wonderful!!  I was texting with Matt early this morning and we realized it has probably been 10+ years since we have spent 6 consecutive days together, or more than 2-3 in a row for that matter.  We had such a good time hanging out and seemed to pick up right where we left off when I last saw him in December.   I have to say, the positive attitude he displays and his determination to make a 100% recovery is remarkable!  I hate admitting that I wouldn’t be as strong if our roles were reversed but he is handing it all with such grace.  It is amazing to see such perseverance after being through what he has. It would be so easy to lie around and feel sorry for yourself but that is not HIM….I am SO PROUD!! 

Okay, back to Matthew and his status. J   As I had mentioned, Matt was released from Queens the same Tuesday  (June 19th) I arrived in Hawaii.   He was on the couch with his leg up when I got there and pretty much traveled between there and his bed while I was in town.  His leg needed to be elevated 100% of the time.  The progress he had made from the time I arrived to the time I left was definitely noticeable!  He had just been released after lying in a hospital bed for 4 weeks and his body was weak and tired.  He was a little wobbly on the crutches and still needed assistance getting up and down from the couch or bed.  Well fast forward to Friday and he was a PRO on the crutches.    Thursday we had to run a bunch of errands and he did great in the back of the car.  He kept his leg up and everything.  Friday my mom took us to the North Shore…we were in the car for a good 4 hours (with an hour dinner break) and he did great!  He was sore/tired till Sunday, but that is too be expected, that is most he had done in weeks!

Before I left we gave his hair a good washing and I trimmed the ends. It was getting long and he had about an inch  of dead ends.  My mom however took full advantage when I set the scissors down cutting off 2-3 more inches, some more or less here or there.  Let’s just say she shouldn’t quit her day job!  Matt was a good sport…he says he is was planning to get a new hairdo when he comes home in a week….my mom made sure that would happen by doing a little preview herself. Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe that was her plan the whole time…hmmmm. J
Yesterday Matt had a follow up with the Ortho Surgeon.  He had the staples and stitches removed from his leg and the doctor was VERY pleased with how Matt’s leg is healing. He still had a ways to go, the skin needs to adapt and make its new home,  but the muscle was accepted and the skin attached nicely.  He is well on his way to a full recovery! 

Thanks again to everyone for the thoughts, prayers and letters! I saw just some of the letters when I was there and it was amazing…probably a hundred or so!   Matt's friends have also been amazing!  They were nice enough to pack up his place in Kauai and bring 2 large suitcases to Oahu for us to bring back to Ohio with us.  I brought back his things when I came and his skateboard was quite the icebreaker. I had numerous people (guys) ask me about the board and even one guy making a joke about the holes in my jeans as a result of riding the skateboard.  Lets just say...Matt owes me!! 
Seriously, this is an experience I don’t think any of us will soon forget.  Thank you again to eveyone for being so thoughtful!   

No comments:

Post a Comment