I mentioned the idea of a post I had to Ian, “dads could never be moms” a few weeks ago and his comment was that I should be careful- I don't want to offend people. He was right, this is NOT my intend and I hope that no one is offended and knows this is all in good fun. My idea was to share some funny stories that we have experienced as parents these last few months and hopefully some of you can relate.
When finding a babysitter for Alexa I had wanted someone in Hilliard, that would allow Ian and I to share responsibility of dropping off and picking up. I thought this way if I had plans after work and or when Ian was out of town it would be easy for one or the other of us to fill in. Finding someone close to his work or my work could be harder for the other person. Well- we found our sitter, Tara, who lives less than 1 mile from my work. That settled it…I would be dropping off and picking up daily- not a big deal.
A few weeks ago I had a work event in the evening, on a Wednesday, the day I usually work from home, therefore I was going into the office and my friend Kristen (who lives down the street) watched Alexa for us. I dropped off Alexa on my way to work and Ian picked her up. I got home around 7 that evening- after my work dinner and Ian was lying on the couch (he looked tired), Alexa was quietly playing on her play mat. I asked him what was wrong and if she had been good and he explained that he was EXHAUSTED! He had picked Alexa up, brought her home, let her play, feed her dinner and now she was playing again. I probably looked at him like he had 3 heads- because that is what I do EVERYDAY and he had done it for 1 day and was EXHAUSTED!?! Granted- he wakes up an hour or so earlier than I do in the morning and his work day is more physically demanding than mine, but his morning routine is getting himself ready and out the door, he also makes the coffee and lets the dogs out. My morning routine includes getting myself showered and ready, feeding Alexa, getting her dressed, packing her lunch and mine- packing her diaper bag . Then there is the drive to work- usually around 30 mins- sometimes with a happy baby, sometimes with a crying baby. After work I pick up Alexa, we drive home- about 1 hour- usually with a crying baby (for at least some portion of the drive) and once home- we have a little over an hour before bedtime. We make dinner, eat dinner, clean up dinner and play at home or go for a walk to the park. At 7pm its time for bath/bottle/bed.
Last night, Ian picked up Alexa from Tara's so I could meet my girlfriends out for a belated birthday dinner. Ian was able to experience my drive home (it took him close to 45 mins at 4pm) as well as the evening routine, alone. I had a great time with friends and came home at 9pm to an almost sleeping daddy in bed, while Alexa sat next to Ian playing with the TV controller. Ian was awake (or so he says) but barely! I scooped up a very tired baby girl and she went right to sleep. Once she was down I did the dishes, washed bottles and picked up around the house. I came to bed and posted on FB- "dads could never be moms". =)
Last night, Ian picked up Alexa from Tara's so I could meet my girlfriends out for a belated birthday dinner. Ian was able to experience my drive home (it took him close to 45 mins at 4pm) as well as the evening routine, alone. I had a great time with friends and came home at 9pm to an almost sleeping daddy in bed, while Alexa sat next to Ian playing with the TV controller. Ian was awake (or so he says) but barely! I scooped up a very tired baby girl and she went right to sleep. Once she was down I did the dishes, washed bottles and picked up around the house. I came to bed and posted on FB- "dads could never be moms". =)
You may remember this post from the other week. Ian worked Saturday and Sunday that weekend and on Sunday he went straight to Stow from work to a party. I didn’t have a problem with him being gone- I was glad he was able to spend time with family and friends- something he doesn’t do often. Alexa was sick all weekend and FUSSY, something she never is- we are spoiled as parents. Monday late morning Ian came home- was home for 10 mins (no exaggeration) and had the nerve to complain, to me, that Alexa was fussy! HE HAD BEEN HOME FOR 10 mins- while I had spent ALL weekend with a fussy girl!! Yes, I had complained to him Sunday night when he called- but that was only after he told me he was going to drive back that night and THEN changed his mind and did not. Needless to say, this was another time I was able to tell him “dads could never be moms”.
Ahhh, I feel much better. This blog is like free therapy! :) But I do need to give the dads credit. Just as I say that dads couldn’t be moms, I know that moms could never be dads! About a month ago Alexa was in the family room playing while Ian and I cleaned up dinner. All of a sudden we heard her start to cry and both went in there. She was on the floor, we aren’t sure what had happened, and when Ian picked her up, she coughed and blood poured out of her mouth! I freaked out, but Ian kept his cool. He got her a damp paper towel, held it up to her mouth and after about 45 seconds she had stopped crying. The blood slowed down, but didn’t stop. Ian got an ice cube and she sucked on that. She was happy and after a couple of minutes the bleeding stopped. I was very thankful for Ian’s quick thinking- while remaining calm.
Ian is a GREAT dad, he is wonderful with Alexa! He plays with her, reads to her, sings with her, stays with her for hours while I have “girls nights”, makes her bottles and feeds her at 2am, dances with her when she can’t sleep, lets me sleep in on weekends and gives her breakfast, I really could go on and on. I only wanted to share with everyone some of the things in my daily life that make me laugh, and make me thankful for our family!
I have always felt that little ones need their moms more than their dads....and everytime I say that I am offending someone, but I still think it's true. Moms can just do things for babies that dads can't do....and vice versa. There is no substitute for a great dad, but as far as babies go, Moms rock! (Just saying)
ReplyDeleteThank you!!! I made Ian proof read before I posted. I feel like out of everyone he would have been most offended and he loved it. Lots of truth in what I said! :)
ReplyDelete