Sorry I haven't updated in a few days. As I mentioned on Matt's facebook, after his final surgery for cleaning we thought they would wait a few days before even discussing the skin graft. We were wrong, they wanted to go in right away and complete the skin graft but Matt wanted me to hold off on an update- he didn't want anything jinxed. :)
Matt's final surgery for cleaning and dead tissue/skin removal was Wednesday (June 6) and was very successful. The doctors were most aggressive but are confident they accomplished what they needed. Matt's next and FINAL surgery, the skin graft was yesterday. The surgery was long (close to 5 hours including recovery), that tells how complicated it was- his other surgeries were less than an hour. They had to take some muscle from his left underarm and used skin from his upper thigh, also on the left leg.
Understandably Matt is very tired and in a lot of pain. As I mentioned before, they were aggressive in his final cleaning surgery, causing a lot of pain and his most recent skin graft surgery has added to that pain. Skin grafts are time sensitive after completion. Matt needs to remain still for 5-7 days while the skin attaches. He is monitored constantly to ensure blood flow to the area on his leg. Yesterday before the surgery Matt was given a blood thinner. Matt had some blood loss and is undergoing a blood transfusion this afternoon. This will take about 4 hours. I spoke to him earlier today- he had some anxiety- VERY understandable- but I tried to assure him that he is in the right place, his doctors are helping him get better- and to be patient. I know, easier said than done. :(
Matt is still on oxygen and antibiotics- the antibiotics will continue for weeks, even once he is discharged (I assume). Most of his swelling is down and his lungs continue to sound better. The doctors are very pleased with the progress he has made within these last few days (prior to his skin graft). I am sure they are still pleased with how he is doing. These next few days we hope he is able to rest comfortably and try and remain still and calm- again- easier said than done.
It was posted on Matt's facebook wall earlier this week that "You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it". I LOVE this quote and it could not be MORE true for this type of situation. I am sure most everyone has heard of Aimee Copeland, the 24 year old from Georgia who also encountered a flesh eating bacteria, however her case is MUCH more extreme than Matt's. Matthew was fortunate enough that he did not have to lose his leg, Amy lost her leg, her foot and both hands. The update I heard today was that she remains off a ventilator, and is now on only 2 antibiotics. What an amazing accomplishment for someone who wasn't given much chance (by doctors) of surviving through the night about a month ago.
I found Aimee's dads blog and will continue to pray for Aimee as I have been Matthew. They are both extremely brave- please pray for their progress, care and recovery. Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment