Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What a difference a day makes!!!

As I mentioned on FB last night, Matt was having a hard time. He was in an extreme amount of pain, he had completed his 3rd blood transfusion earlier in the day, 5 units of blood total in the past 2 days, he was exhausted, frustrated and down.

Fast forward 12 hours to today. His blood count is higher (an 8, a 7 requires more blood), his kidneys are ALMOST functioning at 100%, and he is hitting a handful of small milestones on his own. He is still in a lot of pain, and has a long way to go...but today was a good day! I feel like I hadn't said that on the blog in awhile, and it feels good!! Alexa, Ian and I skyped with him earlier and it was GREAT to see him smile- and see Alexa smile and laugh at his funny faces.

My mom mentioned they want to try and start therapy tomorrow!! He is resting now, but once he is awake they are going to try and get him to sit in a chair. I know, sounds like a simple task, but this will be a BIG deal. Matt has been laying in a bed for 17 days now and is very weak. He needs to start building back up his strength.

Yesterday was not only a rough day for Matt, but I think my mom and I had a hard time as well. This entire experience has been taxing to say the least. It is hard to watch someone you love and care about be in pain. I got a flight out there for next week and saying it will be nice to see him is an understatement. I cannot WAIT to give both he and my mom the BIGGEST hugs EVER!! Guys....get ready! :) My fingers are crossed that I will be able to help him in his rehabilitation and therapy, however if he wants to sleep 24/7 and for me to work on my tan- I guess that's okay too. HAHA, of course I'm joking! I am prepared to be by his side and let my mom have some time off from playing nurse.

Thanks again to everyone for the continued prayers and words of encouragement. You are never prepared for an emergency such as this and having the support from family and friends has been amazing.

We are still taking it one day at a time, and today was a BIG step forward!!!

2 comments: